Fox abandons experiment to air fewer ads
LONDON - Fox Broadcasting has decided to scrap its year-old strategy of airing fewer ads at higher prices during some TV programmes, after it failed to prevent a revenue shortfall.
The JJ Abrams-created sci-fi series 'Fringe' and Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' were the first programmes in which the 'Remote Free TV' approach was tested, but these will return to a normal amount of ad breaks next season, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
During the test period, 'Fringe', which airs on Sky One in the UK, ran with around 10 minutes of ads, about four to six minutes less than the typical hour long show.
Fox's experiment with airing full seasons of shows with fewer ads was designed to combat ad clutter and stop viewers from fast-forwarding through breaks.
When Fox announced the experiment at last year's upfronts, Fox chairman of entertainment Peter Liguori said he wanted Remote-Free TV to "be bold, to engage, to make audiences lean forward".
Some advertisers are understood to have paid premiums of 40% or more for the spots, but the prices were not high enough to match what Fox would have made selling more ads at standard prices.
Fox said that it still plans to use the strategy in limited instances, such as for special events or premieres.
The move comes as analysts predict that the 'upfront' ad-sales marketplace, where broadcast networks traditionally sell about three quarters of their ad inventory, could shrink 15% as slack consumer spending encourages advertisers to cut back.
More on Brand Republic
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1