Hulu UK entry marked by ad sales disagreement
LONDON - The UK launch of Hulu, the online VoD service backed by News Corp, Disney and NBC Universal, is being hampered by an inability to secure UK content from Channel 4 and ITV owing to an ad sales disagreement.
Channel 4 VoD content Desperate Housewives
According to sources close to the situation, Hulu wants to retain control over ad sales around all, or at least, the vast majority of content on its yet-to-launch UK platform. However, Channel 4 and ITV have been unwilling to allow this.
Channel 4 struck a deal with YouTube in March to sell advertising around its own content on the Google-owned video-sharing site.
It is thought, however, that discussions are continuing, with all sides hopeful of a resolution.
Hulu, which also counts private equity investor Providence among its backers, insists it is making progress towards a possible UK launch and there is no suggestion that Hulu's UK plans are terminally damaged by the Channel 4 and ITV disagreement.
Once Hulu enters the UK, it will be hoping to capitalise on the opport-unity wrought by the demise of Project Kangaroo, the planned VoD service from BBC Worldwide, Channel 4 and ITV blocked from launch by the Competition Commission earlier this year.
Channel 4, Hulu and ITV declined to comment.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer CitNOW £25,000-£35 000pa, Wokingham, Berkshire
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...