McDonald's takes on Starbucks in Europe
LONDON - McDonald's is to ramp up its assault on the coffee market by opening hundreds of new McCafes in Europe, according to a report.
The Financial Times claims that the fast food chain, which has been engaged in an aggressive marketing push for its coffee offering in the US, has set itself the target of overtaking Starbucks as the biggest coffee seller on the continent.
Europe already has somewhere in the region of 700 McCafes, which feature high-end coffee machines and operate within or next to regular McDonald's restaurants. They can be found in Ireland, Germany, Russia and Italy, but not in the UK.
McDonald's is now opening more in France and Austria with the target of having 1,200 in operation by the end of the year.
The expansion comes as Starbucks is reducing its 1,300 stores in Europe, around half of which are in the UK. It is thought to have closed close to 1,000 of its stores over the last 18 months.
Jerome Tafani, chief financial officer at McDonald's Europe, told the FT: "We can become the biggest seller of coffee in Europe."
McCafe cappuccinos start from €2 (£1.75) per cup, while Starbucks cappuccinos are priced from £2.35 in the UK.
The McCafe chain first emerged in Australia in the early 1990s.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...