PR mess continues for Nike as it returns banned tapes
LONDON - Nike has been forced deeper into a PR disaster after agreeing to return confiscated videotapes of one of its basketball player ambassadors getting "dunked" by an unknown youngster.
Earlier this month the American sportswear giant made headlines when it took tapes recorded by two accredited journalists at a university basketball game.
The journalists filmed NBA star LeBron James being dunked by amateur Jordan Crawford who was playing in the skills academy run at a US university.
The poor quality footage showed Crawford scoring an easy basket when James was in defence.
The camcorder footage, which did not obviously identify either players, seemed unlikely to make headlines until Nike demanded the tapes from the journalists as, it was claimed, they violated media guidelines which say filming of the skills academy games is not allowed.
Nike bosses have since bowed to pressure and given the tapes back but at the same time drawn extensive attention to the incident which would otherwise have passed largely unnoticed.
The clips made their way onto YouTube and have now been seen by more than a million people worldwide.
Read more on Brand Republic
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London