Commercial TV viewing marks a record half year
LONDON - The BBC's TV viewing share is gradually diminishing, with commercial television accounting for 63.7% of total broadcast viewing in the first six months of the year, up by 3.2% in the past five years, a new study reveals.
Commercial TV viewing: notched up record half year
Commercial broadcast TV viewing had a record first six months of 2009, according to new figures from the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board presented by Thinkbox, with commercial viewing up 9.9 minutes a week year on year.
The average UK viewer watches 16.7 hours of commercial TV a week, up 42 minutes a week from the past five years.
Total broadcast TV viewing in the first half of 2009 was 26.2 hours a week, in line with the same period last year, but up 18 minutes a week on the five-year average for the period.
The results have impacted on the number of ads being watched, with figures up 2% year on year and 16% over the past five years, with the average viewer watching 43 ads a day.
More than 30% of consumers have digital television recorders, such as Sky+, which has resulted in more TV views and ads being watched. People watch 17% more TV after they get Sky+, while 2% watch more ads, according to the study.
While many assume the popularity of video-on-demand has negatively affected TV viewing, research by Work Research/Thinkbox shows 78% of people watch online TV mainly to catch up or keep up with missed broadcast TV.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham