Commercial TV viewing marks a record half year
LONDON - The BBC's TV viewing share is gradually diminishing, with commercial television accounting for 63.7% of total broadcast viewing in the first six months of the year, up by 3.2% in the past five years, a new study reveals.
Commercial TV viewing: notched up record half year
Commercial broadcast TV viewing had a record first six months of 2009, according to new figures from the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board presented by Thinkbox, with commercial viewing up 9.9 minutes a week year on year.
The average UK viewer watches 16.7 hours of commercial TV a week, up 42 minutes a week from the past five years.
Total broadcast TV viewing in the first half of 2009 was 26.2 hours a week, in line with the same period last year, but up 18 minutes a week on the five-year average for the period.
The results have impacted on the number of ads being watched, with figures up 2% year on year and 16% over the past five years, with the average viewer watching 43 ads a day.
More than 30% of consumers have digital television recorders, such as Sky+, which has resulted in more TV views and ads being watched. People watch 17% more TV after they get Sky+, while 2% watch more ads, according to the study.
While many assume the popularity of video-on-demand has negatively affected TV viewing, research by Work Research/Thinkbox shows 78% of people watch online TV mainly to catch up or keep up with missed broadcast TV.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London