Gannett cuts 70 jobs at New York paper
NEW YORK - Gannett has told all 288 staff at The Journal News, in the Westchester area of New York, that they will need to reapply for their jobs.
The paper is cutting 70 jobs with 50 going in the newsroom and 20 in advertising. This comes on top of 57 jobs jobs cut last week in the back office.
Michael Fisch, publisher and president of The Journal News, told the New York Times: "We've been working on a restructuring plan for the Journal News for a while. That's partly the reason for the move today, but the other part of the reason for having employees reapply for newly defined jobs is to recognize that our business has changed."
The creation of the new roles has seen old job titles disappear. Gone are photo journalists and in come "visual specialists".
Fisch said that the paper would be interviewing staff next week and making appointments by August 24.
The paper, which serves the suburban New York City counties of Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam, has an average daily circulation of 95,389.
Gannet, which also owns USA Today, recently reported a second-quarter profit of $70.5m compared to a $2.29bn loss after asset write-downs last time.
However, last month it warned that between 1,000 and 2,000 jobs would be lost having cut 10% of its workforce last year. Most of the cuts will come from its US Community Publishing division, which comprises Gannett's 80-plus local dailies, including The Journal News.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London