Haribo in 'carnal' sweet wrapper complaint
LONDON - Haribo sweet brand Maoam has been slammed by a parent after he noticed wrapper illustrations appeared to depict pieces of fruit engaged in sexual activity.
The complaint stems from the letter to the Daily Mail from Simon Simpkins from Pontefract, West Yorks about the "lurid" illustrations used on the wrappers. It has been run as a story in The Sun.
In the letter Simpkins said he had a "heated exchange" with the shop manager when he saw the German brand's wrappers.
All Maoam wrappers feature a lime character close to, or holding, different items of fruit depending on the sweet's flavour.
Simpkins said: "The lemon and lime are locked in what appears to be a carnal encounter. The lime, who I assume to be the gentleman in this coupling, has a particularly lurid expression on his face."
According to Haribo the wrapper design was introduced in 2002 and was an attempt to make the wrappers "more lively". It denied there were any sexual connotations intended in the illustrations.
Regardless of Simpkins views the controversial wrappers could become a lot more familiar to UK consumers as Maoam prepares to hand out 600,000 of the chewy sweets around UK cities this month.
Last year Maoam launched promotions around kids' activities with a skateboard-themed prize draw and 'Maoam Dance Mayhem', a dance competition.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...