Haribo in 'carnal' sweet wrapper complaint
LONDON - Haribo sweet brand Maoam has been slammed by a parent after he noticed wrapper illustrations appeared to depict pieces of fruit engaged in sexual activity.
The complaint stems from the letter to the Daily Mail from Simon Simpkins from Pontefract, West Yorks about the "lurid" illustrations used on the wrappers. It has been run as a story in The Sun.
In the letter Simpkins said he had a "heated exchange" with the shop manager when he saw the German brand's wrappers.
All Maoam wrappers feature a lime character close to, or holding, different items of fruit depending on the sweet's flavour.
Simpkins said: "The lemon and lime are locked in what appears to be a carnal encounter. The lime, who I assume to be the gentleman in this coupling, has a particularly lurid expression on his face."
According to Haribo the wrapper design was introduced in 2002 and was an attempt to make the wrappers "more lively". It denied there were any sexual connotations intended in the illustrations.
Regardless of Simpkins views the controversial wrappers could become a lot more familiar to UK consumers as Maoam prepares to hand out 600,000 of the chewy sweets around UK cities this month.
Last year Maoam launched promotions around kids' activities with a skateboard-themed prize draw and 'Maoam Dance Mayhem', a dance competition.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)