Haribo in 'carnal' sweet wrapper complaint
LONDON - Haribo sweet brand Maoam has been slammed by a parent after he noticed wrapper illustrations appeared to depict pieces of fruit engaged in sexual activity.
The complaint stems from the letter to the Daily Mail from Simon Simpkins from Pontefract, West Yorks about the "lurid" illustrations used on the wrappers. It has been run as a story in The Sun.
In the letter Simpkins said he had a "heated exchange" with the shop manager when he saw the German brand's wrappers.
All Maoam wrappers feature a lime character close to, or holding, different items of fruit depending on the sweet's flavour.
Simpkins said: "The lemon and lime are locked in what appears to be a carnal encounter. The lime, who I assume to be the gentleman in this coupling, has a particularly lurid expression on his face."
According to Haribo the wrapper design was introduced in 2002 and was an attempt to make the wrappers "more lively". It denied there were any sexual connotations intended in the illustrations.
Regardless of Simpkins views the controversial wrappers could become a lot more familiar to UK consumers as Maoam prepares to hand out 600,000 of the chewy sweets around UK cities this month.
Last year Maoam launched promotions around kids' activities with a skateboard-themed prize draw and 'Maoam Dance Mayhem', a dance competition.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London