Government set to allow product placement on British TV
LONDON - The Government will this week perform a U-turn and allow product placement on British TV.
Product placement...Government U-turn
The Government is understood to be ready to allow commercial broadcasters to use product placement in shows which are not aimed at children.
Former secretary of state for culture, media and sport Andy Burnham last year ruled out a change, but his successor Ben Bradshaw appears to have taken a different view.
"The climate has changed and we are now ready to allow product placement in certain circumstances,'' a senior government source said.
Last year, Burnham said product placement was a "line that we should not cross."
However, it is understood that plunging ad revenues due to the recession played a major part in the government’s change of heart.
In April, 39 Labour MPs signed an early day motion calling on the government to change its stance on product placement.
Mr Bradshaw is due to announce a three-month consultation on product placement in a speech to the Royal Television Society next week.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)