Castrol uses cameras and digital billboards to talk directly to motorists
LONDON - Castrol is combining speed camera technology with digital roadside billboards to tell around 200,000 drivers what the best oil for their vehicle is in a new ad campaign.
Ogilvy Advertising conceived the idea, which is an innovative recasting of Castrol's pre-existing 'Right Oil Right Car' service.
This allows anyone to find out what is the best Castrol oil product for their car by telling Castrol what their registration plate number is via mobile or online.
The idea involves setting up registration plate number recognition cameras at five slow-moving traffic sites in London, which will operate for two weeks from today.
The technology was provided by the Create division of digital billboard owner Clear Channel Outdoor. Media space on the billboards was bought by Mindshare.
When a camera picks up a registration plate number it searches the DVLA database for the make and model of the vehicle and then delivers the correct oil recommendation for the vehicle on a 48-sheet digital billboard further down the road.
Each recommendation will be displayed for 7.5 seconds, and due to data protection, no registration plate data will be stored.
Rob Stroud, marketing manager at Castrol, said: "We're confident that the campaign will not only excite and intrigue drivers, but serve its purpose in helping motorists to understand the right oil right car message.
"If the campaign proves successful, we may consider a roll out to further sites including areas with longer dwell times such as forecourts."
The five locations for the billboards are at Stamford Street in Blackfriars, Vauxhall Cross in Lambeth, Fulham Palace Road in Hammersmith, the Chiswick roundabout in Hounslow and Warwick Road in Kensington & Chelsea.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Senior Product Manager - Technical/Engineering Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum + car and benefits, Hitchin