Vodafone to target smartphone users in brand revamp
LONDON - Vodafone is set to launch a new tagline, sponsorship strategy and app store as part of its biggest marketing revamp in four years.
Speaking to the Sunday Times Vodafone chief executive Vittorio Colao said the telecoms company was dropping its "Make the most of now" strapline in favour of "Power to you". The new line will start appearing in the next six weeks.
Colao said the aim is to put Vodafone at the forefront of the consumer switch to Smartphones.
He said: "It's not the brand talking anymore and telling the consumer what to do. It is the customer who will decide.
"I am trying to steer the whole company in this direction."
The campaign follows the instalment of former Talk Talk managing director Wendy Becker as chief marketing officer in July. Vodafone spends around £600m a year on advertising.
Vodafone has come under increasing pressure in the UK consumer market where other operators, especially O2, are perceived to have stolen a march on the company. O2 struck an exclusive UK deal with Apple to sell the iPhone in 2007 while T-Mobile has also been looking to circumvent this deal by importing sim-free phones from abroad.
With the merger of Orange and T-Mobile, Vodafone could be pushed into third place in the market.
Colao admitted the strength of Vodafone's business operation in the UK had held it back the marketing of its consumer arm.
Vodafone's continued £4m sponsorship of the England cricket team has also come under scrutiny.
The deal expires later this year leaving Vodafone's backing of McClaren-Mercedes as its only major commitment. Colao said Vodafone was looking at other sponsorship opportunities.
The telecoms company is also launching an App Store selling applications that are available from other providers.
The move is part of its strategy to align itself more closely with the use of smartphones.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Email Marketing Exec Michael Page Digital GBP22000 - GBP28000 per annum, Bradford
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...