John Lewis and Dixons in spat over ad
LONDON - John Lewis and Dixons are embroiled in a row over Dixon's new ad campaign which ridicules John Lewis's "middle England" appeal.
Poster ads in the London Underground, launched by DSGi, the owner of the Dixons.co.uk, are in the style of a John Lewis ad and written in the signature John Lewis Green font.
The ads read: "Step into middle England’s best loved department store, stroll though haberdashery to the audiovisual department where an awfully well brought up man will bend over backwards to find the right TV for you."
Then the font changes into Dixon’s red and white lettering and adds: "Then go to Dixons.co.uk and buy it". It ends with the tagline: "Dixons.co.uk - the last place you want to go".
According to a newspaper report, Craig Inglis, head of brand communications at John Lewis said that his company found it a bit odd that a rival would make a virtue of the fact that it doesn’t have anything like a comparable service.
The Dixons website has also launched similar ads lampooning Selfridges and Harrods.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- Digital & eCRM Campaign Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Central), London (Greater)