Vegemite's iSnack 2.0 brand meets with widespread derision
LONDON - After a competition that spawned 48,000 entries, food giant Kraft has revealed the name for its new Vegemite-based spread as 'iSnack 2.0' -- only to be met with a wave of public disappointment and the news that the term iSnack has already been trademarked.
Kraft turned to the public to name the first variant of its world-famous yeast spread Vegemite. The variant blends Vegemite and cream cheese in one spread, meaning users don't have to butter their toast first.
The competition drew a huge amount of publicity and 48,243 entries from more than 35,000 people. Dean Robbins, a graphic designer and long-time Vegemite fan, was named the winner with his suggestion iSnack 2.0. It was up against competition including 'Crackermite' and 'Cheesewax'.
Public reaction has been, to say the least, on the negative side, with criticism ranging from the fact that it doesn't sound like a food brand to withering condemnation, such as a poster on the Brisbane Times website: "Without going overboard, I would suggest that iSnack 2.0 is the worst name I have ever heard for anything or anybody in the entire universe."
Such is the negative outpouring that iSnack 2.0 and #vegefail both hit the trending topics list on Twitter, leading to suggestions that it has been adopted as another publicity stunt to win more coverage for the new spread.
Not only has the name been roundly criticised, but it has emerged that Breville, which makes toasters and sandwich makers, lodged an application to trademark the name iSnack in 2000. The application was accepted in 2001 for "cooking apparatus including snack makers and sandwich toasters; parts and accessories in this class for cooking apparatus".
Breville has not commented on whether it plans to take any action over the name.
The original name Vegemite was also devised through a public competition, held 85 years ago.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london