Selfridges targeted by Sir Roger Moore foie gras protest ad
LONDON - Sir Roger Moore has paid for and appears in a Peta protest ad opposite Selfridges' food hall to appeal to the retailer to stop selling foie gras.
The six-sheet ad went up on a Clear Channel-owned Oxford Street bus stop site yesterday and will stay up for two weeks.
The animal rights charity attempted to use an ad featuring a photograph of a bird being force fed. It says up to two kilograms of mash are pumped into the stomachs of ducks and geese through a pipe two or three times a day.
It claims Clear Channel rejected the ad on the grounds it would be "offensive to the general public".
A different ad was cleared, which shows Moore holding a protest sign and bears the strapline "Force-Feeding Birds Is Cruel, Not Yule".
The James Bond actor has decided to use advertising after failing to change Selfridges' position on foie gras with previous tactics.
He wrote to the store in 2008 and this year offered to buy all the foie gras it had in stock if it would agree to stop permanently selling the product. Selfridges chief executive Paul Kelly has written back to Moore, a spokeswoman for the store confirmed.
Moore, now 82, is best known for starring in James Bond films in the 1970s and 1980s, including 'Live and Let Die' and 'A View to Kill'.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...