Friday 13th spells end for London Lite
LONDON - The London Lite will publish its final issue next Friday, 13 November, owner Associated Newspapers has confirmed.
London Lite: closing next week
Associated announced a consultation on the newspaper's future on October 27, putting 36 jobs at risk. It said at the time it was entering a consultation but did not give a specific time frame.
Steve Auckland, managing director of Associated Newspapers Free Division, admitted at the time the company was "concerned about the commercial viability" of the newspaper.
Today, Auckland said: "Following a lengthy consultation with London Lite staff, we've together decided to produce our last issue on Friday 13 November."
Its closure will cap a tumultuous period in the London press sector. In September, News International closed thelondonpaper. Meanwhile, last month, the London Evening Standard went free of charge and upped its daily distribution to 600,000 copies.
The London Lite launched in August 2006, primarily as a spoiler to News International's thelondonpaper and to protect sales of Associated's then sister paid-for newspaper, the Evening Standard.
Associated retains a 24.9% stake in the Standard, which was taken over by Russian oligarch Alexander Lebedev in January.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Account Director - Leading Communications Agency Digital Gurus £43000 - £50000 Per Annum Up to £50K + Bens, London
- Marketing Manager fishtank £35000 - £45000 per annum, Bristol
- Digital Account Manager Dot-Gap £35k, Central London
- Head of Social and Digital Media - Leading Luxury Brand Digital Gurus £55000 - £65000 Per Annum plus bonuses, London
- Account Director fishtank £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Somerset
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London