Cheryl Cole's 'misleading' L'Oreal shampoo ad cleared by ASA
LONDON - The Advertising Standards Authority has rejected 13 complaints about Cheryl Cole's L'Oreal Elvive shampoo ad after consumers accused the 'X Factor' judge of misleading the public because she has hair extensions.
Cole's L'Oreal TV ad, which launched on 9 October, features the Girls Aloud singer praising the Elvive Full Restore 5 shampoo and conditioner range.
She says: "My hair feels stronger, full of life, replenished with a healthy shine. It's got its mojo back."
Cole, who landed the contract to front the beauty brand in August this year, is known to use artificial hair extensions made from acrylic. Her hairdresser, Julien Guyonnet, told The Sunday Times that he last put extensions into her locks four weeks ago and before that, had given her fibre hair extensions in July.
The pop star's extensions are noted during the 30-second spot when a message appears that says "styled with some natural extensions", however it appears on screen for only two seconds.
Fans were annoyed that Cole does not mention the hair extensions herself.
Daisy Goodwin, a television producer and occasional Sunday Times columnists, was among those that complained to the ASA, claiming the ad was misleading.
The ASA ruled that the ad did not break any rules and in its explanation to Goodwin wrote: "A problem would only arise if the ad did not make clear that [Cole] is wearing these extensions."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)