Apple products top online search terms ahead of Christmas
LONDON - Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch devices are currently the most searched for products in the UK this festive season, while searches for toys increased by 18.9% in the run-up to Christmas, according to Experian Hitwise.
The iPhone picked up 1.75% of all product searches in the UK during the week ending 5 December and 14.01% of all mobile phone searches.
Apple's iPod Touch was the second most searched for product with 1.29%, while the iPod Nano was the ninth most searched for product, with 0.5% of all product searches.
UK internet visits to consumer electronics websites increased by 16.5% between October and November as the gift buying season started in earnest. This was the largest month-on-month increase in UK internet traffic to consumer electronics websites this year.
Searches for toys and hobbies reached their peak during the week ending 5 December, when they accounted for 13.6% of all online searches for products in the UK.
Microsoft seems to be winning the battle of the game consoles, with the Xbox 360 sitting pretty as the third most searched for product with 1.24% of all searches, above the Nintendo Wii with 1.18%, Sony PlayStation 3 with 0.97%, and Nintendo DS with 0.52%.
'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' was the most searched for video game with 0.70% of all product searches following its fanfare launch in November.
GHD hair straightners made it onto the list in seventh position after a 31.6% increase in searches, beating the Babyliss For Men Easycut to be the most searched for grooming product.
Zhu Zhu's Go Go Hamsters was the most searched for toy and the tenth most popular product overall, picking up 0.45% of all product searches.
Robin Goad, research director at Experian Hitwise, said: "UK Internet visits to consumer electronics retail websites always increase in the run-up to Christmas and this year they peaked during the week ending 5 December - a week closer to Christmas than compared to the last couple of years.
"UK consumers are clearly holding out more for bargains this year and have been prepared to order online later. The week ending 5 December was also the peak in online product searches, so searches for products during that week are a great indicator as to the hottest gifts this Christmas."
Table courtesy of Experian Hitwise.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1