Sky 3D to launch with Man United Chelsea clash
LONDON - BSkyB will launch Europe's first 3D TV channel, Sky 3D, with the Barclays Premier League top of the table clash between Manchester United and Chelsea on Saturday 3 April.
Following the channel's launch, Sky has today (19 March) unveiled plans to show at least a further five Premier League games, yet to be announced, before the end of the season on 9 May.
The satellite TV operator will also air the Coca-Cola Football League play-off finals from Wembley Stadium at the end of May in the 3D format.
More than one thousand pubs and clubs across the UK and Ireland have already signed up for Sky 3D, meaning that from 3 April, hundreds of thousands of fans will be able to watch live 3D Premier League matches this season. More pubs and clubs are expected to sign up in the days and weeks ahead.
Outside of the live games, a showreel showcasing the best of Sky 3D - which will cover a wide range of different programming - will run on Sky 3D during selected hours of the day. This programming, which will run from launch, will also be available to residential customers who subscribe to Sky's top channels and HD pack.
Brian Lenz, director of product design and TV product development at Sky, called the 3D channel's launch with the title-contender clash "fitting".
Last week Sony, Samsung, LG and Panasonic all confirmed plans to launch 3D TVs in the coming weeks and Sky 3D will be compatible with all of the product ranges, incorporating both ‘active' and ‘passive' 3D formats.
Later in the year, Sky 3D will offer a range of movies, sport, documentaries, entertainment and arts content. The channel will initially be introduced at no extra cost for customers who subscribe to Sky's top channels and HD pack.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + car allowance+ bonus, Berkshire
- Associate Director, Consumer Research Jarlett de Grouchy £38000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, Oxfordshire
- Senior Innovation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per Car/ Car Allowance, South East
- Range and Merchandising Executive Ball & Hoolahan £33,000 per annum, London
- Global Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Global Brand Ambassador Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London