'I'm our marketing director', says Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary
Michael O'Leary, chief executive of Ryanair, has dismissed the possibility of changing the airline's approach to advertising, claiming it will continue to focus its efforts on lowering passenger fares.
Michael O'Leary: not hiring an external advertising agency
Speaking exclusively to Marketing, O'Leary said Ryanair invests "nothing" in advertising because, he claimed, it has the lowest fares on the market.
He said the airline had no plans to hire a senior marketer, and admitted: "I am our marketing director".
Competitors British Airways and easyJet both rolled out multimillion-pound ad campaigns in the past 12 months, but O'Leary claimed their activity has boosted the whole aviation industry.
The outspoken airline boss dismissed BA's 'To Fly. To Serve' campaign as "nonsense".
He said: "It'll take an awful lot of BA and easyJet marketing to try to cover over the fact that they can’t compete with our prices."
O'Leary said he has no plans to hire an external advertising agency, arguing that Ryanair already has "probably the most recognisable [and] infamous advertising of any company in the UK".
In response to the expected rise in Air Passenger Duty on 1 April, O'Leary said the government should focus taxation on hotels and restaurants instead of flights, claiming that APD sends tourists to other European countries ahead of the UK.
Video produced by Sarah Johnson
Follow the producers on Twitter @BRproducers
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Search Manager - fashion retail PFJ £33000 - £37500 per annum + excellent benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...