IPA's Bellwether reveals waning confidence
IPA research has revealed that marketing spend has been revised downwards for a second successive quarter and that marketing executives are less confident in their companies' prospects for the first time this year.
A tough trading environment has caused 23 per cent of companies to report a reduction in marketing spend, compared with 18 per cent posting a rise in the third quarter, resulting in the sharpest revision downwards since the end of 2009, according to the IPA Bellwether Report. This net 5.5 per cent reduction compares with a 1.8 per cent decline in the second quarter.
Around 31 per cent of respondents have grown more pessimistic about their own companies’ prospects, compared with 28 per cent who are more optimistic.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "Although this is disappointing, it is by no means terrible."
The results follow a report earlier this week from the Advertising Association and Warc showing that, while UK adspend grew 3.8 per cent year on year in the second quarter (excluding direct mail), predictions for the remainder of 2012 and 2013 are not as strong as previously anticipated.Follow @KatherinePLevy
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital Account Handler Live Recruitment £26000 - £45000 per annum, Birmingham
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...