Row erupts over government plans for police campaign
A political row has erupted over the Home Office's planned £3 million TV, radio and press campaign about the first elections for new police and crime commissioners in November. Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R has created the campaign.
Police: campaign will promote elections for new police and crime commissioners
Labour accused the Home Secretary, Theresa May, of putting the Conservative Party’s interests before those of voters after she overruled the independent elections watchdog over how to promote the contests. There are fears that few people know about them.
The Electoral Commission said government advertising was "a significant departure from usual practice" and warned it could "affect public confidence in the elections" if questions were raised about the campaign’s neutrality.
The commission admitted it did "not agree" with the Home Office decision but added: "The Government has assured us it is aware of these concerns and has taken the decision to proceed."
Labour’s David Hanson claimed the drive would "plug government policy", adding: "The Home Office, if it wants to fund TV ads, should allocate the funding to the Electoral Commission instead, or give candidates of all parties the opportunity to communicate to their local communities."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...