Around 500 jobs at risk at bmibaby
Approximately 500 jobs are at risk at bmibaby, as the budget airline moves into a consultation with its employees and considers its options, which include possible closure of the airline.
Bmibaby: consulting with employees over options for airline's future
Peter Simpson, BMI interim managing director, said: "Bmibaby has delivered high levels of operational performance and customer services, but has continued to struggle financially, losing more than £100m in the last four years.
The possible closure of bmibaby follows the purchase of BMI by IAG, the owner of British Airways, from Lufthansa. The closure, should it go ahead, will be made in September. A consultation with trade unions has begun.
It is unclear how many marketing roles will be impacted by the job losses. BMI employs a total of 497 people in the UK. Included in this figure are 83 head office staff, who could include marketing roles, although BMI would not confirm this.
IAG has consistently stated that bmibaby and BMI Regional do not form part of its long-term plans and has announced that some bmibaby routes will be stopped from next month.
It is still open to offers for bmibaby, but has previously disclosed doubts that a buyer can be found.
The budget airline, based at East Midlands Airport, is losing around £25m a year.
BMI's mainstream operations are being integrated into BA and BMI said progress had been made with a potential buyer for BMI's regional arm, BMI Regional.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...