Wetherspoon in push for special offers mobile app
Pub chain Wetherspoon is using mobile to deliver special offers, as part of an attempt to position itself as the perfect destination for a 'Big Night Out' for students.
Wetherspoon: unveils new student-orientated app
Ogilvy Action has created a mobile augmented reality app, called Wetherspoon Unlocked, which delivers food and drink offers when the user scans point-of-sale material at 280 participating Wetherspoon pubs. It features image recognition technology developed by Aurasma.
The point-of-sale posters, which are marked by brightly coloured geometric-shaped stickers, carrying messages such as "Look closer" and "Question everything", will also be located on university campuses across the UK.
Each poster encourages people to download the app by either visiting an app store, texting a shortcode, or scanning a QR code.
The free app, which is available for iOS and Android, also allows users to tag pictures and videos of their Wetherspoon 'Big Night Out' to objects within the pub, which can be accessed by Facebook friends.
To obtain reach, Wetherspoon has tied up with student rewards business Studentbeans.com and university media company Campus Media, to deliver online advertising, an eCRM programme and campus POS, using student ambassadors.
John Hutson, chief executive of Wetherspoon, said: "Our pubs are extremely popular with students and we are confident that they will embrace the promotion.
"It is a fun and innovative way for our pubs to interact with students and for students to benefit when they visit their local Wetherspoon."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...