Swap social media for TV unless you have a million fans, says Diageo marketer
Brands should abandon social networks if they are unable to build communities of a million consumers, according to Philip Gladman, Diageo's western Europe white spirits marketing director.
Smirnoff: Diageo vodka brand
Speaking at yesterday's ISBA annual conference, Gladman told the audience that "size matters".
"It takes communities of one million to even start paying back on a social platform," he claimed during an afternoon session titled 'Changing the Game'.
"Unless you are going to get a million, don't bother... There's no point having a little Facebook community bubbling along," he said.
"Stick it in TV", is what brands in this predicament should do with their marketing spend, he added.
"Build and they will come", the famous quote from the Kevin Costner baseball film ‘Field of Dreams’, was "rubbish" when applied to social media, argued Gladman.
He also argued that brands would not get to a million fans without spending money on it, claiming that Procter & Gamble had spent $14m on making the Old Spice "The man your man could smell like" ad a viral success.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...