Editor's Comment: Face it - size still matters on Facebook
Just when we thought the 'size matters' debate surrounding brands' social-media fanbases was dead and buried with a stake through its heart, the argument has resurfaced.
Such is the success of the 'engagement, not size' lobby that it takes a brave marketer to resurrect the notion that the '1m fan' target remains a key milestone for big brands.
Step forward Philip Gladman, Diageo's white spirits marketing director, who gamely told ISBA's conference last week: 'Unless you are going to get a million, don't bother ... There's no point having a little Facebook community bubbling along'.
His comments drew predictable ire, partly because he suggested TV as an alternative.
Nonetheless, if brand owners of Diageo's significance state that 'it takes communities of 1m to even start paying back on a social platform', then it must be true.
Diageo is not alone in seeking social-media 'critical mass'. Nissan recently announced proudly that it had crossed the threshold to 500,000 'likes' on its Facebook page.
Meanwhile, Procter & Gamble's chief marketing officer, Marc Pritchard, told WACL last week that if a P&G brand video on YouTube only 'gets 7000 hits in three days, it's a pig. Take it down'.
'Total fans' tells only part of the story: reach, engagement and, ultimately, sales tell the rest. Much like a desire for lots of unique visitors to a brand's website, a higher number of (hopefully engaged) fans is the real goal of any brand.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...