Diageo forced to apologise after BrewDog awards scandal
Diageo has been forced to apologise to BrewDog after the drinks giant was accused of using its influence to prevent the self-styled Scottish "punk brewer" from winning a drinks industry award.
BrewDog: angry blog picked up on Twitter
In a blog, BrewDog claimed that Diageo, a sponsor of the British Institute of Innkeeping award ceremony, had cheated Brewdog out of an award. According to the blog, BrewDog's name was engraved on the winner's trophy in the 'Bar Operator of the Year' category but the company was not announced as the winner.
It then went on to claim that Kenny Mitchell, chairman of the award committee, said that Diageo had said that "under no circumstances" could the award be given to BrewDog and threatened to pull its sponsorship from future events.
Using the hashtag #AndTheWinnerIsNot, Diageo and Brewdog’s complaint trended worldwide on Twitter.
Diageo’s apology, which was tweeted exclusively to @Marketinguk followers, said: "There was a serious misjudgement by Diageo staff at the awards dinner on Sunday evening in relation to the Bar Operator of the Year Award, which does not reflect in anyway Diageo’s corporate values and behaviour.
"We would like to apologise unreservedly to BrewDog and to the British Institute of Innkeeping for this error of judgement and we will be contacting both organisations imminently to express our regret for this unfortunate incident."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...