Close Up: My Life in Advertising - Mick Mahoney, Euro RSCG London
Name: Mick Mahoney
Job: Executive creative director, Euro RSCG London The reason I got into advertising was ... at the time I had a yellow Mk1 Capri and few prospects. My sister had a friend with a beautiful convertible Morgan. When I asked him what he did for a living, he said he was a copywriter.
The campaign I'm most proud of working on is ... I haven't done it yet. When I look back, I only see how and where it could have been better. Drives me nuts.
And the campaign I pretend I wasn't responsible for is ... a Vodafone ad at Bartle Bogle Hegarty.
My favourite campaign created by someone else is ... currently, it's the genius Ikea campaign from Mother. Shows you can be populist and still be smart and beautiful.
The best moment of my career so far was ... standing a couple of feet from the front end of the velvet bucking bronco as Kylie practiced.
While the most embarrassing moment was ... a book crit at DFGW with my old art director Andy Amadeo when we were a student team. It was all going quite well until Andy projectile vomited. A lot. Repeatedly.
The best celebrity I've worked with on a campaign is ... Jackie Chan. A lovely bloke. Spent his lunch break on the shoot helping me sort out my family holiday.
The person I'd most like to work with in the industry is ... Mark Reddy. He exists on another level to any other creative I've met.
The person who's had the biggest influence on my career is ... different people at different points. Paul Weinberger, Steve Dunn, Andrew Levy, John O'Keeffe, Mark Reddy.
The best piece of advice I've received during my career is ... make sure you're never the smartest person in the room.
If I wasn't working in advertising, I'd be ... I've never wanted to do anything else. Although, Andy and I did consider opening a chip shop during a particularly lean spell at Lowe.
In ten years' time, I'll be ... fucked.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...