Unlikely as it may seem, stealth drones could spawn the next must-have gadget, Ian Darby writes.
Stealth drones haven’t had the best of press lately. Generally identified with their application as "unmanned combat aircraft", they have been linked with US military activity in Pakistan and numerous other clandestine manoeuvres across the world.
Yet the technology used in these weapons has trickled down into more benign forms. The French tech company Parrot, for instance, has demonstrated its AR Drone at recent Consumer Electronics Shows in Las Vegas. Its products, which can be controlled by smartphone and other devices, retail from around £280 in the UK.
A recent review on the tech site Gizmodo said: "You start to think about what you’re really dealing with – a flying robot, controlled by your phone, with a camera that records the world below as if you’re sitting in a tiny cockpit."
Fitted with an on-board Wi-Fi system and cameras, the Parrot drones, and similar products, can be used for augmented-reality flying games and taking aerial photography. And, now, advertisers are becoming alive to the possibilities. Some are working at taking advantage of drones at their own live events and at least one agency is talking to experts about using drones as part of an epic light show.
Recent developments in these smaller drones include the fitting of memory chips and greater GPS functionality, potentially opening the way for targeted messaging and delivery to customers. Tests are at an early stage, but perhaps pizza delivery scooters will become a thing of the past.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Studio Manager Twist Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...