The office has seen a major revamp to house the restructured sales teams and a new global service, Calum Macaulay writes.
It is a daunting but exciting challenge to take control of the world’s largest sports radio station and the UK’s biggest sports magazine. I started as the managing director at the beginning of the year but, luckily, I know the team – having worked within UTV for a number of years, most recently as the director of our local music stations.
The atmosphere at talkSPORT is pretty unique. Everyone in the building loves sport and there is amazing passion and commitment to create top-class output on air, online and in print. Undoubtedly, this has helped to create a station with more than three million listeners every week. We attract some huge names from the sporting world and it’s not unusual to come across the England manager, Freddie Flintoff or Kenny Dalglish (King Kenny, to give him his proper title) in the green room when you go to make a cup of tea.
We’ve just realigned the sales teams to an agency-focused set-up. Our partnerships with brands and agencies are increasingly across multiple platforms, which is unsurprising when you look at the reach that we can achieve across radio, print, online, mobile and social media.
We’ve had the builders in for the past month, revamping the sales floor, expanding the ground floor and adding an additional area for filming and digital output. For the start of this season, we built a new international broadcast centre for our global service, talkSPORT Live. The station broadcasts every Premier League match live worldwide in English, Spanish and Mandarin – so you can imagine the electric atmosphere in the studios on a busy Saturday.
We’re building up our commercial team for talkSPORT Live and gearing up for our exclusive coverage of the forthcoming British and Irish Lions tour to Australia. 2012 was a big year of sport for us, but 2013 could be our biggest year yet.
Calum Macaulay is the managing director of talkSPORT and Sport magazine
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- CRM Manager (1 year maternity cover) f1 Recruitment 50,000, Kensington
- Head of Digital and CRM - entrepreneurial global online brand - Hertfordshire - up to £75K f1 Recruitment Up to £75K depending on experience, Hertfordshire
- Web Development Manager - UK & Ireland - Travel f1 Recruitment £50,000, Surrey
- Marketing Assistant Tomorrow Recruitment £18k - £20k, Central London