Apple's App Store hits 25bn download landmark
Apple has downloaded more than 25 billion apps from its App Store, four years after its launch.
Apple: announces the 25-billionth app download
The tech giant made the announcement on its homepage yesterday (4 March) and is giving away a $10,000 (£6,315) store voucher for the person who downloaded the 25-billionth app.
It also expanded the app store, beyond apps for its mobile devices, to include Mac apps in January 2011. Within 24 hours of opening, one million Mac apps had been downloaded.
Apple's app store model faces rising competition, not only from Google's Android Marketplace, but also from the rise of developers opting to create HTML5 web-based apps, which can be used across multiple devices from a mobile browser.
Last week, at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Facebook said it was partnering with industry stakeholders including Orange and Samsung, to help develop a mobile web standard and simpler payment system to enable developers to create apps for the mobile web, rather than rely on third-party app stores.
Ian Carrington, mobile sales director for Google UK, told Marketing at the conference that traditional apps would survive alongside the mobile web.
He said: "The first billion took [Android Market] two years [to reach] and the latter billion took less than 30 days, so apps are very much liked by consumers."
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...