Mark Thompson to give MacTaggart lecture in Edinburgh
LONDON - BBC director-general Mark Thompson will give the keynote MacTaggart lecture at the Edinburgh International Television Festival in August later this year.
Mark Thompson: MacTaggart lecture
The MacTaggart lecture opens the Edinburgh International Television Festival each year and is known for producing controversial and agenda setting speeches.
Thompson was appointed director-general of the BBC in 2004. Prior to re-joining the BBC he was chief executive of Channel 4 from December 2001 to 2004.
Thompson said: "In what is a big year for the BBC as well as the rest of the broadcasting industry, it's a great privilege to be asked to give the MacTaggart Lecture, and I'm looking forward to it."
Deborah Turness, 2010 Edinburgh International Television Festival advisory chair and editor of ITV News, said: "Edinburgh is the first stop on the media calendar following the general election, and the MacTaggart will once again set the agenda for the weekend.
"In what promises to be a pivotal year for the BBC, I am delighted that Mark has agreed to share his vision with the Edinburgh audience."
Last year James Murdoch, chief executive and chairman of News Corporation in Europe and Asia, used the MacTaggart lecture to attack the BBC.
Murdoch said the "scale and scope of [the BBC's] current activities and future ambitions is chilling" and highlighted the BBC Trust's "abysmal record" citing BBC Worldwide's purchase of the majority of travel guide brand Lonely Planet.
Thompson will give his lecture on Friday 27 August at 6.45pm.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London