Consumer perceptions of the price of food in the UK
IGD conducted research in May 2001 to investigate what consumers think about the price and value of food in the UK.
This research builds upon previous research conducted by IGD in 1999.
Are Consumers Happy with the Price of Food in the UK?
In both 2001 and 1999 consumers were asked if they were happy with the price they usually pay for food in the UK.
59% of consumers were happy with the price of food compared to 21% who were unhappy.
In 1999, 51% of consumers were happy with the price of food, and 32% were unhappy.
The results seem to indicate that in 2001 consumers have more positive attitudes to UK food prices than they did in 1999. It should be noted however, that consumers now seem to be more moderate in their views, and potentially less likely to have very strong favourable or unfavourable views about food prices in the UK.
Do Consumers Think Food in the UK Good Value?
The research conducted by IGD suggests that there is a tendency for consumers to be more positive about the overall value of food, than when specifically asked about the price.
Through focus group discussions it was clear that consumers use more than price to judge the value a product offers. Instead, they try to balance price alongside specific characteristics of the product that are important to them, characteristics of the purchase environment and the end-use of the product.
69% of consumers in 2001 perceived food in the UK to be good value. Again there has been little change since 1999, when 71% of consumers agreed that food they bought was good value.
For more details contact IGD on
+44 (0) 1923 857141
+44 (0) 1923 852531
Further information can be found using the following link
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)