Customer retention is not enough
Companies spend millions trying to understand and influence customers--to hold on to them and to encourage them to spend more. But to increase the customers' loyalty, companies must do more than track today's typical metrics: satisfaction and defection. For despite all the money invested to promote loyalty among high-value customers, it is increasingly elusive in almost every industry. Report by McKinsey Quarterly.
Every company knows that it costs far less to hold on to a customer than to acquire a new one. That's why customer retention has become the Holy Grail in industries from airlines to wireless. Yet defecting customers are far less of a problem than customers who change their buying patterns. Today's typical metrics of customer satisfaction and defection don't tell a company how susceptible its customers are to changing their spending patterns.
McKinsey's recent two-year study of the attitudes of 1,200 households toward companies in 16 industries shows that focusing on smaller changes in customer spending can have as much as ten times more value than concentrating on defections alone.
For free access to the full text of this article, including a downloadable version, click on the link below. (Registration required on McKinseyQuarterly.com.).
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London