Foursquare raises $20m as it approaches 2m users
Foursquare, the location-based social networking platform, is fast approaching the two million-user mark, and has raised $20m in fresh funding as it bids to expand and develop new products.
Foursquare: approaching two million-user status
The disclosure came from the company’s co-founder and chief executive, Dennis Crowley, in a company blog.
The fresh round of funding comes partly from existing venture capital backers, Union Square Ventures and O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures.
Funds are also being provided by Andreessen Horowitz, which is headed by technology entrepreneurs Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz.
Crowley said the financing would "help us deliver the next generation of mobile and social and local products that will excite out users and provide unique value for local merchants."
Foursquare has a staff of 27, but is looking to use the money to expand its operation.
In April, one year after launch, it was revealed that Foursquare was on the cusp of hitting the one million-user mark in half the time it took Twitter to reach the milestone.
The platform has become popular with urban dwellers in the US as a source of recommendation for eateries, shops and local attractions. It added London to its list of networked cities last October.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London