Big Brother takes hit from World Cup semi-final
'Big Brother' slumped to 1.6 million viewers last night as the second World Cup semi-final sucked in more than 40% of the TV audience, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Big Brother: show presenter Davina McCall
Almost 10 million people (9.665m) watched BBC One's coverage of Spain's 1-0 victory over Germany, compared to ITV1's 8.7 million viewers for the Holland vs Uruguay semi the day before.
The 7pm-10pm football coverage was also screened on BBC HD, where it attracted an audience of 777,000 and a 3.4% share.
'Big Brother', which is sponsored by Freederm, took a 6.7% share of viewing at 8pm-9pm. Including its Channel 4+1 outing, it garnered two million viewers, which is above its lowest audience to date.
Two episodes this series have been watched by 1.4 million viewers, including Channel 4+1 ratings, after it opened on 9 June with five million.
To compete with the football, ITV1 screened a two-hour episode of police drama 'Midsomer Murders' and pulled in 3.4 million viewers, a 13.8% share, between 8pm and 10pm.
Channel 4 improved its audience after 'Big Brother' with 'The Sex Education Show' at 9pm-10pm, attracting 2.3 million viewers, a 9.5% share, with a total of 2.8 million including its time-shifted channel.
At the same time on Five, US drama import 'NCIS' managed 1.5 million viewers, and the BBC Two documentary, 'In Loving Memory', was watched by 840,000.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Motion graphics designer/after effects expert Salt £200 - £300 per day, City of London