BBC expands presence in the US with news site
NEW YORK - The BBC has unveiled a new US website with a focus on news and politics, which will be produced by its 10-strong Washington bureau. At launch the corporation has signed up HP as its advertising partner.
BBC: prepares launch of US site
BBC.com goes live later this afternoon and follows yesterday's relaunch of the BBC's UK news website, which got a fresh look and the introduction of a range of social media tools.
BBC Worldwide said that its international website BBC.com had tripled its revenue growth in the financial year to March 31 and racked up over 16m unique users.
Luke Bradley-Jones, global executive vice president and managing director of BBC.com, said: "The US is a key market for the BBC and this investment clearly underscores our commitment to it, growing our digital business and continuing to bring people authoritative and distinctive journalism."
The US site, based at the BBC's Washington DC bureau, is being led by BBC.com's US editor Matthew Davis. Later this year the BBC will add a travel section to the site in partnership with sister company Lonely Planet.
This will be headed by former NYTimes.com Travel & Style editor David Allan who was recently appointed editorial director of BBC Travel. The travel section will launch with Emirates as the key sponsor.
The BBC said it had further plans for enhanced sports, technology, business and entertainment sites.
Miranda Cresswell, senior vice president of BBC.com, said: "Building on the incredible journalism already available on BBC.com you’re going to see more analysis, more insight and more perspective that connects the dots on events and issues that affect us all in the US."
The launch follows the appointment last month of Daniel Heaf to the newly created role of digital director at BBC Worldwide. He rejoined the corporation from Channel 4 where he was digital commissioner of 4iP – the company's digital innovation fund.
At the time, Heaf said: "There are only a small handful of jobs in digital media that touch every corner of the globe and this is one of them."
Read more on Brand Republic's digital blog The Wall
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London