BR Video: Nationwide right to drop England sponsorship
Members of the public back Nationwide's decision to drop its 11-year sponsorship of the England team in the latest BR Video.
The building society yesterday confirmed it had decided not to renew its deal with the Football Association, after its £20m four-year agreement finished following the World Cup.
We asked members of the public whether they agreed with Nationwide's earlier suggestion that it was unlikely to renew its deal.
Twenty-year old plumber Sam agreed, citing the national team's poor performance as the reason to pull out. "England were rubbish. I wouldn't want anything to do with them."
IT manager Richard, 45, said: "You only really want to sponsor success. The England football team is not a good name, at least not for the next couple of years."
But company director Roger said being aligned with the England team was still attractive. He said: "I think any sponsor it's a good thing to be aligned with the England team but from what I see in the paper I think it's a financial thing and not the standard of football."
Students Marcus and Polly believed it was no big deal to lose Nationwide and the FA could land a bigger sponsor this time.
Asked to suggest a brand to take over the sponsorship, people mentioned Barclays, Tesco, Sainsbury's and an English car manufacturer (if any are left). Marcus stretched the boundaries of probability by putting forward Greenpeace.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Packaging Designer Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London