BR Video: Public positive about Five but unsure of Desmond
After Richard Desmond's recent acquisition of Five we asked people what they liked about the channel and whether they welcomed his decision to buy it.
Opinions on the quality of the main channel were generally favourable, with people highlighting 'Live From Studio Five', 'CSI', "out of the ordinary documentaries" and interesting science-based programmes.
Detractors said they would like to see more drama and films on the channel.
When we asked whether Desmond's takeover of Five would be a good thing, there was a degree of suspicion that he would make the channel more like his newspapers, the Daily Star and the Daily Express.
Lee, a 21-year-old shop assistant, said: "I don't really read papers like the Daily Express or the Star but from what I know they aren't the greatest papers, they're very tabloidy aren't they? From looking at that I'd say probably [buying Five is] a bad thing."
David, a 56-year-old charity worker, agreed that the move would not welcome, if Five went down the same road as the Daily Star.
Science teacher Gareth said: "If channel Five becomes the Express on telly I wouldn't necessarily go for that", although he admitted "I wouldn't turn it off because Desmond owns it".
The media magnate did get a strong vote of confidence from one quarter. Peter, a 43-year-old unemployed man, said: "Desmond knows how to entertain people. I think with his drive and determination there's nothing the man can't do."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London