From bedroom to global domination: the Facebook timeline
It has taken fewer than six years for Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook to rise from obscurity to ubiquity. Brand Republic charts the major milestones as the social network climbed from one to 500 million users.
Facebook: It has taken only five months to add the last 100 million users, while the first 100 million took almost five years.
At the time, the nine months it took Facebook to reach its first million users seemed meteoric, but given it's taken just five months to add the last 100 million, the charge of the Zuckerberg's social behemoth is relentless, and just a little scary.
From its first VC cash injection to global domination, the timeline below charts the major milestones for the world's favourite social network.
The rise of Facebook
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Manager (2 months) Stopgap £150 - £160 per day, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £28000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Account Director Purple Consultancy £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Email Producer Creative Recruitment £17000 - £20000 per annum + benefits, West London
- Communications Executive Â– Part-time Â– ethical organisation ADLIB £20000 - £25000 per annum, Bristol