Google hires BBC news executive
Google is hiring BBC News' head of development and rights, Madhav Chinnappa, to its partnerships team for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Google: has hired Madhav Chinnappa to its to its EMEA partnerships team
It is a new post, with a focus on helping publishers get the most out of Google News.
Chinnappa will be Google’s first person in Europe focusing on Google News partnerships.
He has been at the BBC for nine years and has been responsible for brokering agency contracts and external commercial income for BBC News since 2003.
According to a report in PaidContent:UK, the hire is a move by Google to dampen complaints from some newspaper publishers about the way it gathers its news content.
A spokesman for Google said: "We have very good working relationships with most publishers.
"For years we've had a European partnerships team that has worked with a range of partners, news partners as well as book publishers and libraries," he said.
Last April, Rupert Murdoch accused search engines such as Google of stealing content from online newspapers and said News Corp would block search engines from adding its content to their search results, once the paywall was up.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire