Google hires BBC news executive
Google is hiring BBC News' head of development and rights, Madhav Chinnappa, to its partnerships team for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Google: has hired Madhav Chinnappa to its to its EMEA partnerships team
It is a new post, with a focus on helping publishers get the most out of Google News.
Chinnappa will be Google’s first person in Europe focusing on Google News partnerships.
He has been at the BBC for nine years and has been responsible for brokering agency contracts and external commercial income for BBC News since 2003.
According to a report in PaidContent:UK, the hire is a move by Google to dampen complaints from some newspaper publishers about the way it gathers its news content.
A spokesman for Google said: "We have very good working relationships with most publishers.
"For years we've had a European partnerships team that has worked with a range of partners, news partners as well as book publishers and libraries," he said.
Last April, Rupert Murdoch accused search engines such as Google of stealing content from online newspapers and said News Corp would block search engines from adding its content to their search results, once the paywall was up.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Project Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £28,000, Manchester
- Managing Partner / Client Services Director David Thatcher Recruitment £80-95k, Bristol