BBC under fire from cardinal over news balance
The BBC has come under fire ahead of next week's UK visit by the Pope after the Catholic Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh called the Corporation unprofessional, radically secular and socially liberal.
Mark Thompson: the BBC's director general
Cardinal Keith O’Brien said the BBC’s news and current affairs output is "utterly lacking" in professionalism and balance, a week after BBC director general Mark Thompson told the New Statesman there used to be a "massive left wing bias" at the Corporation.
In a report in The Sunday Times O’Brien said research into the BBC’s news coverage of Christianity in general, and Catholicism in particular, and with an analysis of output by the Catholic Church, has revealed a "consistent anti-Christian institutional bias".
O’Brien also said he feared a documentary on the Catholic clerical abuse scandals, which coincides with the Pope’s visit, will amount to a "hatchet job" on the Vatican.
Last week Thompson came under fire after he was photographed entering Downing Street for a meeting about the BBC’s season of TV and radio programmes with a briefing note from BBC News director Helen Boaden.
In his pocket, and visible to the waiting telephoto lenses, was a letter outlining Andy Coulson's – the Government's communications director – concerns for BBC reports to have the correct "context".
At the end of August Thompson used the keynote MacTaggart lecture at the Edinburgh International Television Festival to attack BBC critics such as BSkyB and the national press.
The BBC had not responded to a request for comment by the time of publication.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Periscope Recruitment LLP £50000 - £60000 per annum, London