BBC's social iPlayer gets 'Next Level' marketing push
The BBC is launching a marketing campaign, created by RKCR/Y&R, to back the release of the latest iteration of the iPlayer, launched earlier this week.
The campaign kicks off tomorrow with TV spots using the strapline "The Next Level". They will be followed in two weeks time by updated TV ads and a radio and online campaign extolling the features in the new video on demand player.
Simon Lloyd, director of marketing for the BBC’s Future Media & Technology division, on his blog today, said the broadcaster had updated the original "making the unmissable, unmissable" campaign to reflect the change in consumer habits and the VoD market since the iPlayer was first launched in 2007.
He said: "At the time, the market for video on demand was in its infancy, and the challenge for us was to explain to a mainstream TV audience what BBC iPlayer was. It was a multiple award-winning campaign and played a part in establishing BBC iPlayer as the best in its class.
"But the world has changed since then. Video on demand services are everywhere and lots of people have digital video recorders. Social media went mainstream and while we have attracted a large audience to BBC iPlayer there are plenty of people who don’t use it."
Lloyd said the two stage campaign would play on the idea of the iPlayer being "a complete entertainment destination" with stage two explaining "what’s on the other side of the portal".
IPlayer has been hugely successful for the BBC and has helped establish a market and template for VoD catch-up services online, but its success has riled commercial broadcasters who have been playing catch-up themselves to deliver equally successful online TV platforms.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London