Sky/IAB research ranks online video ad formats by recall
The most memorable online video ad format is pre-roll ads accompanied by a banner, according to research from pay-TV broadcaster Sky and the Internet Advertising Bureau.
Online video: 6,000 respondents took part in Sky/IAB study
The research also questioned whether measuring click-through rates alone reflected the branding effectiveness of online video, as they did not take into account the consumers who chose to research their purchase in their own time.
The 12-month study drew on almost 6,000 respondents and covered 11 brands, 24 campaigns and five ad formats. The ads appeared on six Sky websites – Sky News, Showbiz, Sky 1, Golf 365, Planet Rugby and Sky Sports.
A spokesman for the IAB said it was the most in-depth "live" study to date dedicated to online video-advertising effectiveness.
Pre-roll video with a companion banner delivered the highest brand recall at 47%. Qualitative research suggested this was because the banner increased the audience’s anticipation and, therefore, their attention levels.
The recall when only pre-roll was used was 44%, while 43% of respondents recalled a branded video player, 37% recalled post-roll video ads and 36% recalled in-stream overlays.
Brand recall was higher at work (44%) than at home (39%), which suggests brand-centric video ads may be more relevant during working hours, but the opposite was shown for click-through rates, which were higher when users were at home.
Rebecca McQuade, online research manager for Sky, said: "This research provides genuine insight into the effectiveness of the different formats. We’ve delivered an actionable piece of research for the entire industry, which shows how online video can deliver brand engagement for advertisers."
The respondents were more comfortable about ads on professionally made content, than content posted by others: 47% stated ads were appropriate around entertainment clips and 46% found ads acceptable around TV programmes. However, only 17% said ads were appropriate around content posted by others.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London