Bing to promote forthcoming Jay-Z book
NEW YORK - Bing is to publish the entirety of rapper Jay-Z's forthcoming book, 'Decoded', by leaving actual pages in locations across the globe and posting virtual pages on Bing Maps, in a campaign designed to flaunt the functionality of Microsoft's fledgling search engine.
Bing: rapper Jay-Z's autobiography is focus of promotion campaign
Fans of Jay-Z will be able to use Microsoft’s self-dubbed "decision engine" to decode the star’s lyrics and identify the locations that inspired them. Users who subsequently visit those locations will be able to find pages and also enter a competition.
The pages will appear on traditional media as well as on a variety of unconventional surfaces, including pool tables, bronze plaques and clothing racks in fashion stores.
Locations span 15 cities across the globe, ranging from the projects of Brooklyn, where Jay-Z grew up, and Manhattan, where he built his music empire, to London streets that inspired some of his music.
The "decryption" nature of the multi-platform campaign is in keeping with the content of the rapper’s book, in which the global superstar reveals the hidden meanings in some of his most provocative songs.
By using Bing’s various functions, including Bing Maps and Bing Entertainment, web users can decode the 300 pages of the book via 600 traditional, non-traditional and digital advertising placements, as well as on Bing Maps.
The online game can be found at www.bing.com/jay-z, where participants are presented with clues to decrypt.
Any player who successfully locates a hidden page – either online or at a physical location – will be entered in into the prize draw. The grand prize is two tickets to see Jay-Z and Coldplay in concert in Las Vegas on New Year’s Eve.
The campaign goes live today (18 October) and has been produced by Droga5. It will run for four weeks until 'Decoded' goes on sale on 16 November.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Birmingham
- Creative Artworker Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Northamptonshire
- Account Director - Retail to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Mid-Senior Print Designer | Contract | London Salt £200 - £300 per day, City of London
- Retail Marketing - Account Executive Barclay Meade £24000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Barclay Meade £45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, Reading