Government minister supports two-tier internet
Culture minister Ed Vaizey has backed plans for a two-speed internet, which could see internet service providers charging content producers and customers for "fast lane" internet access.
Ed Vaisey MP: Ed Vaisey MP: 'lightly regulated internet is good for business'
Vaizey’s speech, delivered at the Financial Times World Telecom conference yesterday, came as a blow for net neutrality campaigners, who favour the status quo.
Media services such as YouTube, ITV.com and BBC iPlayer with heavy bandwidths are most likely to be hit with the higher charges. The new fees could see smaller internet companies and start-ups unable to compete with larger companies.
Vaisey said that ISPs must be free to experiment and new charges will help pay for the expansion of internet services.
"A lightly regulated internet is good for business, good for the economy, and good for people," he said.
"The internet has been responsible for an unprecedented level of innovation, innovation which has led to multi-billion dollar companies being formed in just a couple of years."
"It is right the Government puts in place the right infrastructure to support the internet and has a view on how it is governed," he said.
In August, Google and Verizon came under fire from internet companies including Facebook and Amazon after they floated proposals for a two-tier wireless internet system in the US.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Designer (Packaging, Brochure, POS, Retouching) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer (Branding, Marketing, POS, Packaging) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, London