EBay adds price comparison scanner to drive e-commerce sales
EBay has added a price comparison feature to its free iPhone app in a bid to entice high-street shoppers to compare deals.
EBay: auction site invests in mobile apps
The online marketplace has updated its app with a barcode scanning tool that allows shoppers on eBay to see a list of deals for a scanned item.
It also allows repeat sellers to scan a product and list it on eBay in less than a minute. Users can also search for completed listings to see what similar items recently sold for.
Steve Yankovich, vice president of eBay Mobile, said: "More shoppers are turning to their mobile phones to save money and time this holiday season."
"We continue to blur the lines between in-store and online shopping by allowing eBay shoppers to conveniently scan products to find the best deals virtually anywhere, anytime."
According Ebay, the UK site receives 340,000 visits a day via its mobile app, which shoppers use to make one purchase every two seconds.
Yesterday online retailer Amazon launched a "price check" iPhone app in the US. Users can scan an item's barcode in store, in a similar way to the eBay app, or take a picture with the phone’s camera to compare prices offered online by Amazon and other merchants.
Last month Tesco added a barcode scanner to its iPhone app to enable customers to add items to their online shopping list more conveniently.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- PR and Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- PR Account Director, Entertainment/Broadcast, £40k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 per annum, London