Vauxhall to revive England home internationals after 25 years
UPDATE: The Football Association's (FA's) new headline sponsor Vauxhall is set to revive the home international games between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland after a 25-year hiatus.
Wembley Stadium: Vauxhall and the FA set to revive home international fixtures
The FA will confirm today (11 January) that Vauxhall has signed a four-year deal to be the new sponsor of the England football team.
Vauxhall has also signed sponsorship agreements with the three other home nations, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
It is understood that discussions between the respective home nations are geared towards scheduling the tournament between 2012 and 2013.
The annual competition, last contested in 1984, was a regular fixture on the football calendar for about 100 years.
But the competition lost its appeal over the years, in comparison to major competitions such as the European Championships and the World Cup.
Those expected to be in attendance today include Alex Horne, general secretary at the FA and Peter Hope, marketing director at Vauxhall, alongside the respective home nations managers, including England manager Fabio Capello.
Rupert Pratt, managing director of sports agency, Generate Sponsorship, said: "One of the advantages of sponsoring a national team is that it gives a sponsor the opportunity to unite the nation. By sponsoring the remaining UK national teams, Vauxhall can reach and engage the entire UK."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London