Oxford Media Convention: Hunt to outline plans for local TV
Culture secretary Jeremy Hunt will today (19 January) announce details of the Government's much-trumpeted plan to provide local news coverage across the country.
Jeremy Hunt: to outline plans for local news coverage
Hunt is also expected to lay out his plans for a new Communications Act, which will include a number of reforms to the industry, as part of his keynote speech at the Oxford Media Convention.
Central to Hunt's speech will be the plans for local TV services, which the Government hopes to launch as early as next year on Freeview.
Hunt, a firm of advocate of local TV stations, will put out an invitation for "expressions of interest" from companies wishing to provide local news.
He hopes that national and regional newspaper groups, such as Daily Mail & General Trust (DMGT), will be interested in bidding for the contracts.
Hunt believes there is an untapped market for local news across the country, which local networks providing news coverage could tap into.
According to a Government-commissioned report by Nicholas Shott, the Lazard investment banker, the target should be to launch between 10 to 15 services by 2015.
Other keynote speakers at the conference will be Ivan Lewis, shadow secretary for culture, media and sport; Mark Thompson, BBC director general, and Ed Richard, chief executive of Ofcom.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Junior Planner Recipe Advertising 19-21k, Oxford Circus