Last.fm to bring in pay model for mobile streaming
Last.fm, the CBS-owned digital music service, is to start charging for access to its radio service accessed on mobile apps and home entertainment devices, such as internet-enabled music players, from 15 February.
Last.fm: introduces pay model for mobile streaming
Subscriptions to the ad-free radio service will cost £3 a month for mobile, lower than its competitor Spotify, which charges £10 a month for a subscription to its radio service.
Last.fm Radio will remain free on websites in the UK, US and Germany, and for listeners on Windows Mobile 7 phones and Xbox Live in the UK and US.
Mark Horn, head of products at Last.fm, in a blog post, said delivering the radio service on mobile and emerging platforms was "not practical".
He said: "You’ll see that this change brings us in line with other music services that already charge you to listen to music on mobile devices."
Last.fm launched in 2002. It was acquired by CBS Interactive Music Group in 2007 for $280m. The service recommends music, personalised radio and concerts for its 40 million users and keeps a record of their listening habits.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)