MTV co-founder John Sykes joins Shazam board
Shazam, the mobile music and advertising identification service, has appointed John Sykes, one of the founding executives of MTV, to its board.
Shazam: John Sykes joins the board
Shazam's advertising technology has been used by groups, including Faithless, and brands, such as US clothing chain Old Navy, to encourage consumers to download mobile content from TV ads.
Sykes, who left MTV owner Viacom in 2008, believes Shazam's technology has great potential. He said: "With a simple 'point and click' action on a mobile device Shazam creates immediate opportunities for its 100 million loyal users to extend their engagement with content on television networks, radio, live events and advertising.
"I can see many parallels with the formative years of MTV and Shazam is uniquely positioned for the convergence of mobile, broadcast media and advertising."
Sykes worked with MTV at its inception 25-years-ago and was president of VH1, which he rebranded and lead to record audience ratings and profits, from 1994 to 2002.
After a period as chairman and CEO of Infinity Broadcasting, where he oversaw 185 radio stations with a reach of more than 70 million listeners a week, he returned to MTV Networks in 2005 as president of network development.
In 2008 Sykes left Viacom to join former MTV colleagues Bob Pittman and Tom Freston at the Pilot Group.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Interior Design - Studio Manager to £36k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £36000 per annum, London