MTV co-founder John Sykes joins Shazam board
Shazam, the mobile music and advertising identification service, has appointed John Sykes, one of the founding executives of MTV, to its board.
Shazam: John Sykes joins the board
Shazam's advertising technology has been used by groups, including Faithless, and brands, such as US clothing chain Old Navy, to encourage consumers to download mobile content from TV ads.
Sykes, who left MTV owner Viacom in 2008, believes Shazam's technology has great potential. He said: "With a simple 'point and click' action on a mobile device Shazam creates immediate opportunities for its 100 million loyal users to extend their engagement with content on television networks, radio, live events and advertising.
"I can see many parallels with the formative years of MTV and Shazam is uniquely positioned for the convergence of mobile, broadcast media and advertising."
Sykes worked with MTV at its inception 25-years-ago and was president of VH1, which he rebranded and lead to record audience ratings and profits, from 1994 to 2002.
After a period as chairman and CEO of Infinity Broadcasting, where he oversaw 185 radio stations with a reach of more than 70 million listeners a week, he returned to MTV Networks in 2005 as president of network development.
In 2008 Sykes left Viacom to join former MTV colleagues Bob Pittman and Tom Freston at the Pilot Group.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)